Thank you to the students who submitted an application for the inaugural round of scholarships. Applications are no longer being accepted for 2021. The deadline for applying for the 2022 scholarships is September 30, 2022.
There are many desirable work opportunities for youth in the mining industry and a high demand for workers. Yet, the overall presence of young people in the sector is low compared to their overall presence in the Canadian labour force.
The Mining Industry Human Resources Council (MiHR) celebrated 25 years of leading collaboration across Canada’s mining sector in 2021. In recognition of MiHR’s 25th anniversary and in support of developing the mining talent pipeline, MiHR established the I Chose Mining. Mining Chose Me. scholarship program – a five-year program offering 10 $2,500 scholarships for post-secondary students in mining-related programs. Spread over five fiscal years, the program totals $25,000 in scholarships – with the first two scholarships awarded in 2021-2022.
In conjunction with the We Need Mining. Mining Needs You. career awareness campaign, the intention of MiHR’s scholarship program is to:
- Provide an opportunity for post-secondary students interested in mining-related careers to receive funding for their education.
- Raise awareness of the mining industry, careers and the separate We Need Mining. Mining Needs You. campaign, MiningNeedsYou.ca website and supporting materials.
- Showcase the important contributions youth can make to the minerals and metals sector.
The scholarship opportunity is available to any student in a mining-related post secondary program that meets the following criteria:
- Be registered in a full-time or part-time mining, mineral, metallurgy or geoscience program at a Canadian post-secondary institution.
- Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person with refugee protection given under the law.
- Demonstrate an interest in entering a career in Canada’s minerals and metals sector.
- Successfully submit a completed Application Form, accompanied by the noted video and other submission requirements, as outlined in the Application Process section, by no later than September 30th of each year.
MiHR is committed to ensuring equity, diversity and inclusion are prioritized in Canada’s mining sector. Therefore, a minimum of one of the two scholarships awarded each year will be provided to youth from groups underrepresented in mining, including women, Indigenous peoples, racialized persons, newcomers, persons with disabilities and members of LGBTQ2S+ communities.
Each year, the MiHR Scholarship Selection Committee will select two successful recipients. The Committee is comprised of three members of MiHR’s Board of Directors, the Council’s Executive Director and its Director of Marketing and Communications.
MiHR staff members will do a preliminary assessment of the completed applications package and select the top 10-12 shortlisted applications that will be forwarded to the Committee. The Committee will assess all short-listed submissions under the terms of the Board approved evaluation criteria. Applicants will be considered based on their submission demonstrating their commitment to a career in Canada’s mining industry.
Scholarship application packages must be submitted by September 30th of each year. Applications may be submitted in either English or French.
To demonstrate that applicants meet the above eligibility criteria, they must submit:
- The MiHR Scholarship Application Form.
- Information submitted on the form is also intended to explain interest in a mining career and the value of current educational programs in meeting future goals.
- An MP4 video of a maximum of two minutes focused on the scholarship theme: I Chose Mining. Mining Chose Me.
- Explain why you chose a mining education (what about the industry appealed to you) and why mining chose you (what makes you a good fit for a mining career).
- Articulate your academic and career goals, and how the scholarship fits into your plan to achieve these goals.
- Note: By submitting, applicants agree to have their video featured on www.MiningNeedsYou.ca and MiHR’s social media platforms. Videos may be edited for length.
- A detailed resume.
- A minimum of one letter of recommendation, to a maximum of three. Preference will be given to letters from educational faculty.
- Proof of registration in a full-time or part-time mining, mineral, metallurgy or geoscience program at a Canadian post-secondary institution.
Application packages are to be submitted to email@example.com. Packages can be sent using a file transfer service such as WeTransfer or DropBox. Applicants will receive email confirmation that their application has been received.
The successful candidates will be advised of their award by approximately October 30th of each year. Scholarship funds will be made available to the successful applicant between November 15th to January 15th of that same academic year.
All applicants will receive email notification whether their application is successful or not.
Although not mandatory, successful candidates may be invited to attend a virtual or in person MiHR event to be provided with their award.
For questions regarding MiHR’s I Chose Mining. Mining Chose Me. scholarship program, please contact MiHR’s Director of Marketing and Communications at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Photo courtesy of Baffinland.