- Manage projects to modify or add facilities and infrastructure (ex. upgrading an air strip, building new accommodation, constructing a road, building new structures for the mill, opening up new sections of the mine, etc.)
- Plan projects (ex. develop full scale project work plans and proper documentation and records including scope of work, schedule, budgetary requirements, etc.)
- Select or source personnel to achieve project outcomes
- Track and control projects to deliver them within their approved scope, quality, budget, and schedule
- Coordinate between maintenance, engineering, operations and external contractors
- Develop and implement policies, standards and procedures as needed
- Manage physical construction
- Liaise with department manager to gain approvals and manage risk
- Evaluate project outcomes as established during the planning phase
$120,000 – $180,000
Demand in Mining: 4/5
Skill Transferability: 5/5
Why are People Attracted to this Career?
Project Managers enjoy the challenge of balancing engineering abilities with managerial skills. This role is also an excellent introduction to the mining industry for experienced candidates with an engineering background.
What is it Like to Work as an Project Manager in Mining?
Note: The requirements listed below illustrate what it takes to start the career and do not take into account on-the-job training given to new employees.
Project Managers work in an office at the mine site, also performing site visits to a variety of areas in the mine or mill, including surface and underground locations.
- Delegates work to achieve results
- Identifies challenges and solves problems
- Influences workers at all levels
- Knowledge of mining operations and mining equipment
- Strong communication skills (verbal and written)
- Strong management skills
- Strong multi-tasking and time management skills
Job Entry Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in mining engineering
- A Bachelor’s degree in Engineering (e.g. civil, mechanical, electrical, mine) or a related technical field, or equivalent experience
May be Required
- Professional Registration, P.Eng.
- Four to six years of experience in the mining sector
- Project Management Professional (PMP) training or certification
- Knowledge of construction regulations, standards and protocols
- Project management experience that includes contracts and administration, procurement, materials control and project accounting
- Experience in estimating and cost control
- Willingness to relocate
- Other languages